The SIAM-IMA Cambridge Student Chapter, formed by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) and the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA), is a student society at the University of Cambridge dedicated to the promotion of applied mathematics, data science and computational science.
In the future we aim to have a few talks per term from applied mathematicians and data scientists in academia and industry. These talks provide a fantastic opportunity for applied mathematicians to come together, and share experiences and knowledge. In particular, the talks delivered by representatives of companies are extremely useful if you plan to leave academia since you can learn more about particular employers in the UK and you can get an insight into possible career trajectories.
So, do sign up to our mailing list to receive updates about our events!
As per our GDPR requirements, the only data we will ever store is this email address and the button to unsubscribe will be at the bottom of every email we send. The information is only seen by us and will only be used to advertise events organised by us or one of our sister chapters.
Also, all graduate students (Part III and PhD candidates) at the University of Cambridge can join SIAM and the IMA e-student scheme for FREE!
To apply online: go to SIAM Web Services to create a new customer record, receive your username and password, and then join online.
Why you should join
- Opportunities to network with peers and faculty;
- Meet professionals from major research institutions and corporations who were once where you are now;
- Increased visibility in the applied mathematics and computational science communities;
- Access to cutting edge research;
- Resources for identifying and developing career options in applied and computational math;
- If you apply for a SIAM Student Travel Award to attend a SIAM conference, your membership might tip the balance in your favor if all other qualifications among candidates are equal.
What you will get
- Free membership in two SIAM Activity Groups (SIAG);
- Free subscription to SIAM News;
- Free electronic subscription to SIAM Review (and deeply discounted student rates for print subscription);
- 30% discount on all SIAM books;
- 80% discount on up to four (4) subscriptions to SIAM journals in print and any number of electronic journals;
- 95% discount on electronic access to current content and archives for all 13 journals;
- Eligibility to hold office and serve on SIAM committees;
- Students paying the discounted rate are eligible to vote in SIAM elections;
- All students, regardless of SIAM membership status, are eligible for greatly reduced registration rates (up to 85% discount off non-member fee) to attend SIAM conferences, and can join or start a student chapter of SIAM on their campus.
The IMA e-Student scheme is free, you get an e-mail newsletter 6 times a year and typically a £5 discount on IMA events beyond the student fee for the event. Join here: https://www.ima.org.uk/student/e-student.cfm.html
Student Membership is £10 per year. Graduates should join as Associate Members, but if you are in full time education (Part III, PhD) you can have Associate Membership at the Student rate for up to 3 years whilst studying.You get the members magazine posted to your home 6 times a year. Some articles appear in the newsletter but most of the content is different. And you typically get a £10 discount on IMA events. Besides, student Members can vote in IMA Council elections and at the AGM, but e-Students cannot. To apply for this or any IMA membership grade, visit myIMA.
The SIAM-IMA Cambridge Student Chapter